From The Chef
Fennel, ginger, lemon, and mangoes, the four dominant flavors in this salad, all work to highlight and complement the delightful melon notes in Uproot's Sauvignon Blanc, while the fennel fronds serve as a nod to the wine's grassy flavors. The texture of the salad mirrors the drinkability of the wine, with its balance of smooth, slippery-ripe mango and cool, crisp fennel.
- 1 fennel bulb with fronds
- 1 tablespoon ginger, grated on a microplane
- 1 small garlic clove, grated on a microplane
- Juice of one lemon (2 to 3 tablespoons)
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- 2 large or 3 small ripe ataulfo or champagne mangos
- Flaky sea salt
- Make the pesto: Remove fennel fronds and chop roughly (you should have about 2 cups). Combine the chopped fronds, grated ginger, grated garlic, and lemon juice in the bowl of a food processor, and pulse a few times to incorporate. With the food processor running, pour in the six tablespoons of olive oil and process until combined. Scrape the mixture into a medium bowl and season to taste with kosher salt.
- Assemble the Salad: Trim the root and stalks from the fennel bulb and slice it thinly, cutting from root to stem. Peel the mangoes and cut the flesh from the pit and slice into long, thin strips. Add the sliced fennel bulb and mango to the bowl with the pesto and toss gently to combine. Top with a sprinkle of flaky sea salt.
- Pour yourself a glass of Uproot and Enjoy!