Citrus Ginger Tofu Salad with Buckwheat Soba Noodles
From the chef
This gluten-free and vegan salad is stock full of plant-based calcium with tofu, and sesame. Its great made ahead so it can marinate and soak up all the flavors.
IngredientsFor the Tofu + Marinade:
- 1/8 cup orange juice
- 1/8 cup tamari
- 1/8 cup toasted sesame oil
- 1/8 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon finely grated ginger
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 package extra firm tofu
- Leftover marinade
- Zest of 1 lime
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 1/8 cup orange juice
- 3 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
- Sea salt to taste
- 1/2 package Eden Buckwheat Soba Noodles
- 1 stalk broccoli, florets only
- 1 large carrot, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 1 1/2 cups lacinato kale, de-ribbed and cut into ribbons
- 1/2 cup green cabbage, shredded
- 1/3 cup cilantro, chopped
- 8 basil leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
- Preparing the Tofu + Marinade: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. In a bowl mix together orange juice, tamari, sesame oil, olive oil, ginger, garlic, maple syrup, and cayenne and set aside. Cut the tofu into 1-inch cubes and place into a small baking pan without overlapping. Pour the marinade over the tofu. Put the tofu into the oven and bake for 15 minutes, stir, and bake for 15 minutes more until browned. With a slotted spoon, scoop out the tofu and place onto a plate and allow to cool. Pour the remaining marinade into a bowl and set aside.
- Preparing the Thai citrus vinaigrette: Add the lemon zest and juice to the remaining marinade. Continue to add the orange juice, rice vinegar, maple syrup, and sea salt to taste. Set aside.
- Preparing the salad: Cook the soba noodles as described on the package, rinse with cold water and set aside. Meanwhile, bring a small pot of water to a boil, and blanch the broccoli florets for 30 seconds. Immediately strain the florets and rinse with cold water. Put the blanched broccoli florets, carrot, kale, cabbage, cilantro, basil, and sesame seeds into a large bowl and toss. Dress the salad with the Thai citrus vinaigrette.
- Serve the salad topped with baked tofu and garnished with sesame seeds.
- Pour yourself a glass of Uproot and Enjoy!