From the chef
This is a substantial sandwich,tender flank steak that I marinaded in chimichurri and pan seared. I grilled the brioche that's cut extra thick, made a chimichurri mayonnaise, and added slices of fresh tomato. The steak would be equally delicious grilled. - sdebrango
IngredientsThe chimichurri and flank steak:
- 1 1 1/2 to 2-pound flank steak
- 1 cup flat leaf parsley cleaned and large stems removed, finely chopped (by hand or use food processor)
- 1/2 cup baby arugula, finely chopped (by hand or use food processor)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (you can add to parsley and arugula in food processor)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 brioche pullman loaf or if you prefer a white pullman loaf
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 beefsteak or heirloom tomato, sliced
- Soft butter for bread
- Salt before you sear and pepper after
- 2 tablespoons Chimichurri to mix with mayonnaise
- For chimichurri, place all ingredients except flank steak into a bowl, stir to combine. For the steak, cover both sides of the steak with some of the chimichurri, put in ziplock bag and refrigerate for one or two hours. Cover and refrigerate the rest of the chimichurri.
- Remove steak from refrigerator approximately 45 minutes before you are going to cook it. Scrape off some of the chimichurri, salt the steak and let rest. While steak is resting prepare the other ingredients: slice tomato, slice bread in 1-inch thick slices, mix the mayonnaise and chimichurri.
- To sear the steak: First with a paper towel pat the steak to remove any excess moisture. In a very hot fry pan lay steak, let it sear without disturbing it. Cook approximately 3-4 minutes on each side for a medium rare steak. (You will have to judge exactly how long to sear based on the thickness of the steak.) Remove from pan, lay on cutting board, pepper the steak now, let rest 5-10 minutes.
- While steak is resting, heat a fry pan (if you have one with ridges it will make nice grill marks on the bread). Spread butter on each side of bread, place in hot pan and grill, about a minute per side.
- When steak has rested, slice thinly, cutting across the grain. To put your sandwich together, spread the chimichurri mayonnaise on each side of bread, lay meat on bread, then add the tomato, put the other slice of bread on top and enjoy.
- Pour yourself a glass of Uproot and Enjoy!